Mystery project revealed!

Happy Tuesday, friends.

Well, the time has finally come!  I’ve just finished my Super Exciting Epic Mega-Project, and I’m so darn excited I couldn’t wait any longer to share it with you.

Did you guess what it was?

Well, if you guessed BOOTS, you were right!

I love them!  Here they are before:

They were nice boots, but they were all scuffed and old-looking, so I never wore them.  Rather than throw them out, I decided to cover them and make them fabulous instead.

I was inspired by these gorgeous Irregular Choice shoes my dad bought me a few weeks ago, which I can’t stop looking at.  I’ve always wanted a pair, and I just love them.

I love how there are so many different prints on the shoes.  They are just so pretty. Why stick to one lovely fabric when you could use three?

I’d also read a few tutorials about how to cover your shoes with fabric, like this one, and I thought I’d give it a shot.  Since I didn’t wear the boots anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose.  All the tutorial I read involved simply using glue and sticking the fabric on.  It seemed pretty simple and I thought it would be a quick and easy project, so it didn’t matter if they didn’t last too long.  So, I got stuck in (haha) and plastered the fabric to the boots.  Alas, this DID NOT WORK!  I used regular white glue, maybe I should have used fabric glue.

Having already invested a certain amount of time in these boots I was not going to give up until I’d finished them, so I decided that the only solution was to sew the fabric on by hand (!)  It has taken me a couple of weeks and lots of holes in my fingers, and at times I certainly wanted to just throw them out, but now they are done it was so worth it!  I am in love with them.

Just look how pretty they are!

In case any of you are insane keen on making your own, here’s a couple of points about how I did it.

My stitching is a bit wonky (O.o)

First, I cut the pieces of fabric to size and stitched them on.  I wasn’t too bothered about my stitches being pretty (obviously!), since it was pretty difficult to push the needle through the boot accurately, and also quite hard to do – progress was slow enough as it was, without being picky about straight lines.

Once I had the base layer of flowers/spots, I cut the purple panels for the toe and back of the heel.  Since I was aiming for brogues, I punched holes in them using a hole punch.

Like this.

I stitched around each hole to prevent fraying and sewed the pieces to the toe/back of each boot.  For the toe, I had to use a curved upholstery needle because I couldn’t pull the needle through from the inside.

Finally, I cut the fabric for the heel post, and hemmed it on the machine.  I attached it with superglue, and trimmed the excess.

Finished! Or are they?

Then, it occurred to me that the fronts looked a little bare, and I had the idea of making laces!  So, I made the side purple panels, punched and stitched the holes as before, and attached the panels to the side seams, before threading pretty ribbon through.

AND THEN THE BOOTS WERE DONE!

Now, I’m wearing them and feeling smug.

Let me know if you decide to overhaul your own shoes!

(^-^)b

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: